Sunday, March 28, 2010

royal saga continues

Well got the big boy dug up and split apart. Took pictures but it seems my camera is acting out so maybe after a short respite it will behave again. Moving and dividing such a large hosta can be quite a task and why it's best done either in the early spring, I believe. First there are not any leaves to contend with and they actively growing so the perfect time to get them to produce a good root system before winter.

Now I have one of my own that needs a good breaking up. It's taking over my side yard, not that it's a bad thing, especially when they bloom. Being one of the older forms of hosta it is still a fragrant hosta. Sadly when they are hybridized for interesting leaves or flowers the fragrance is lost, just like so many of the roses and other formerly fragrant perennials.

No comments:

Post a Comment